I didn't get to watch the White Sox first spring training contest, a 7-3 loss against the Rockies -- Let's go for 12 in a row tomorrow! -- but judging by the reports from those that did, it was a successful opening even if it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.
John Danks' cutter seen in the wildNo longer shrouded in mystery, John Danks was seen throwing his cutter almost exclusively in his 2 inning spring debut. According to some first hand reports, Danks didn't throw a curve or top 90 MPH. This outing was all about throwing strikes, good strikes, with his new pitch. And even though he gave up a HR to Troy Tulowitzki, Danks seemed pleased.
Spring Training HeroesBrian Anderson and Boone Logan will, no doubt, 20 years from now, be locks for the Greater Tuscon Area Athletics Hall of Fame. Logan has allowed 1 earned run in 2+ Tucson springs, and Brian Anderson has a perpetual .330 spring batting average.
Josh Fields' contract flap means nothingI'll just let Joe Cowley, who was first to report that Fields had "refused to sign his contract," explain the reasoning.
- Jim has video of Danks' cutter and Alexei's debut. And more video (bourgeois, sisco, anderson, getz, harrell).
- Ichiro is smarter than his manager (hat-tip BBTF). Tangotiger chimes in.
- Did you miss the Frank TV promos?
- I think Andrew is happy about Wrigley's future.
- StatSpeak: Mike Fast: Winning with an 89-mph fastball: an analysis of Brian Bannister.
- THT's Greg Rybarczyk says we don't have to leave mom's basement. Yipee! (Tango agrees)