- Jeffrey Marquez has been less than awesome so far for the Knights. In two starts, he's lasted just 1.2 and 3.2 IP, while giving up 14 hits, walking 5, and striking out just 2. His GO/AO has been a pedestrian 1.00.
- Shoeless in SC covered the Knights game on Friday night. Scott Podsednik is back.
- White Sox hitting instructor Jeff Manto shared his thoughts on Gordon Beckham, Dayan Viciedo, Tyler Flowers, Brandon Allen, Jordan Danks, and Jon Gilmore.
- Brandon Allen, once described by a member of the White Sox front office as the organization's "sleeping giant", awoke last season - likely one of the reasons for the avoidance of corner types with their first round pick. He's continued his hot hitting at Birmingham this season with a .333/.381/.462 triple slash, including a double and two triples (yes, Allen is mobile enough to legitimately hit triples).
- Beckham: .368/.442/.632.
- Jayson Nix remains in Arizona at extended spring training; his recovery from a right quad injury has been slower than expected.
- From the Where Are They? file: Jose Martinez is still in extended ST rehabilitating from a severe leg break - no timetable for his arrival at Kannapolis. Steven Upchurch - you know, the 12th round pick last year who signed for 6th round money who was probably a 3rd round talent? - is also in extended ST, with an assignment to Great Falls likely. Nevin Griffith, who had Tommy John surgery last June, is - you guessed it - in extended ST and a July-ish return to game action is targeted.
- Kanny triplets update: Both Daniel Hudson and Dexter Carter suffered minor non-arm injuries this week. Hudson took a line drive off his leg on Sunday and was removed from the game. He made his start on Saturday and went 6 IP with 3 hits, 4 K, 0 BB, and a HBP. After striking out a batter on Friday, Carter was removed from the game after 3.1 IP due to an injury to the side of his right foot just below the ankle. Unclear what the extent of that is. Gregory Infante continues to receive adulation in the press, after he followed up his extremely impressive first start with a solid second.
- The White Sox acquired Andy Phillips from Pittsburgh for Michael Dubee, who was originally acquired for Tadahito Iguchi. Pirates fans think they hosed Kenny Williams. Phillips replaces Ben Broussard as the old guy playing first at Charlotte.
- Finally, Jordan Danks went not one, not two, but three consecutive games without striking out. He continues to struggle against pro lefties but it's a small sample size and his collegiate history provides hope that he can straighten that out. .275/.383/.550 thus far. Birmingham may be calling sooner rather than later.
As always, check the Minor League Update thread for daily updates and commentary.