- Going into the season, everyone's favorite sleeper prospect was Miguel Gonzalez. The 19 year old Venezuelan catcher was coming off of a stellar season for Bristol on both defense and offense. Unfortunately, the jump to full season baseball has proven too much for Gonzalez. While the defense is still very good - he's throwing out just under half of those who attempt to steal on him - the offense has been awful at Kannapolis: .227/.269/.289. Since altering his batting stance a couple weeks ago, however, he's experienced a bit of a hot streak and, over his last ten games, has put up a much more palatable .400/.441/.435. Whether or not the stance is the reason, it's good to finally see a sustained spell of production.
- Brent Morel: .321/.352/.500.
- Dayan Viciedo is still struggling on his return engagement with the Knights but finally drew a walk. It wasn't his fault, though.
- Brian Omogrosso returned to action after being out since June 2009 shoulder surgery. Despite his injury, the White Sox thought enough of the right-handed pitcher to add him to the 40 man roster in the offseason. The 26 year old has good stuff but - you guessed it - control has always been the problem. Maybe he'll make a nice middle reliever one day. For now, he's rehabbing with Bristol and will likely move on up to one of the A ball affiliates when Bristol's season ends on the 31st.
- August 31st, or shortly thereafter, will also mark the end of the minor league seasons for a number of other players when they're called up when rosters expand. Members of the 40 man roster have the inside track and you can almost certainly expect guys like Viciedo, Carlos Torres, Randy Williams and Alejandro De Aza to be called upon immediately. A catcher will also be a swift arrival and it will be interesting to see which of Tyler Flowers and Donny Lucy it is as neither has impressed for Charlotte. Jeffrey Marquez and Jhonny Nunez, as well as organizational soldier Stefan Gartrell, are good bets to appear after the Knights' season ends on the 6th. The 40 man roster currently sits at 39 so, even without outrighting some junk (like Freddy Dolsi) or moving Jake Peavy to the 60 day DL, the White Sox have room to add at least one. And that will be Morel.
Jordan Danks: .243/.313/.375 and 30% strikeout rate.