The White Sox had plenty of chances to even up the series against the Orioles but they left the bases loaded three times, including the 9th inning. With two outs in the 9th, A.J. Pierzynski pinch hit and walked. Adam Dunn followed with a single to center. Paul Konerko got hit in the hand to load the bases off of Orioles closer Jim Johnson, but Alex Rios was called out on strikes to end the game.
In the first with the Sox trailing 2-0 and 2 outs, Dunn drew a walk. Konerko followed with a beautiful single to right and Rios struck out but took 1st on a wild pitch to load the bases. They couldn't cash in though as Alexei Ramirez hit a chopper to short to end the inning.
In the 3rd, the Sox managed to push two runs across, but it could have been more. They wore out right fielder Nick Markakis during the inning as Alejandro De Aza led off with a double. After Brent Lillibridge struck out, Dunn doubled to right to score De Aza. Konerko and Rios both singled to right to push Dunn across to tie the game. After a Ramirez walk to load the bases with 1 out, Dayan Viciedo was caught looking and Tyler Flowers went down swinging to end the inning.
Gavin Floyd struggled today. Endy Chavez led off the game with a walk. After Nick Markakis singled to right, Adam Jones doubled in Chavez. Nick Johnson followed with a grounder to 2nd to score Markakis and the Orioles took a 2-0 lead.
Trouble struck again in the 5th. Robert Andino led off the frame with a triple to right center and Chavez was hit with a pitch. J.J. Hardy brought in Andino with a sac fly and Markakis popped out bringing up Jones. Floyd threw wildly to first allowing Chavez to get into 2nd base, leaving first base open with Johnson (who is hitless on the season) on deck. With the count full, Hawk said "don't give him a cookie". Unfortunately, that is exactly what Floyd did with a rolling curve ball and Jones made him pay with a 2 run shot to give the O's a 5-2 lead.
* Tyler Flowers threw out both base runners who attempted to steal, leaving him perfect on the season.
* Brent Lillibridge got the call in the 2 hole and struck out all three times.
* Dayan Viciedo had a tough game, with 3 strikeouts (all looking) and a double play.
* Nate Jones threw 2 solid innings with 3 strikeouts.
* The game was brought to you by the letter K as the two teams combined for 26 strikeouts, 16 of them courtesy of the Sox. Jason Hammel struck out 10, tying his career high in 6 innings of work.
HR: A. Jones
Record: 6-6 | Box Score