Going over some stuff from the Game Thread:
- Why does Jim Thome suck after a 3-0 count? It seems like Jim Thome can't do crap after the count get's to 3-0 -- Well, I suppose he does walk a bunch, but a lot of those are intentional -- This season, Thome is an anemic 4-19 with one extra base hit after the count runs to 3-0. What gives?
- The White Sox offense has put up more than 3 runs against an opposing starter just once in their last 7 games. That includes starts by Runelvys Hernandez, Adam Bernero (who was subsequently put on the DL), Boof Bonser, and a guy with half a rotator cuff. The Sox starting staff has allowed 4 or more runs in 5 of those 7 games. -- I can't be the only one who wonders what would happen if the Sox offense got to face Sox pitching.
- Completely unrelated to the Sox offensive struggles, Scott Podsednik, who hit .333/.419/.417 during the first inning in '05 as the Sox routinely jumped out to early leads, is hitting just .238/.354/.369 in the same situation this season.
- Ryan Sweeney, lauded for his inability to hit for any power, has begun to show his potential the last two months. He's hit .293/.356/.521 with 21 extra-base hits (including 8 HRs) in 167 AB since July 1.
Sweeney has gotten time at CF this year where his defense is described as average and adequate, or in other words, better than Mackowiak. He also has a plus arm and can play a plus defensive corner OF. If only we had a use for a player like this.
- Jose Contreras, he of the near-11-month 'winning' streak, now has ERA above 4. The Sox are 2-6 in his last 8 starts.