Kenny says not so fast Ozzie:
Despite earlier comments by manager Ozzie Guillen, general manager Kenny Williams said the White Sox have no interest in free agent center fielder Andruw Jones.Update [2007-12-4 20:39:58 by The Cheat]: Orlando Cabrera has a career OBP of .321 and averages 3.5 pitches per plate appearance. Andruw Jones has a career .342 OBP and averages 3.75 pitches per plate appearance.
"Andruw Jones is not on our list," said Williams, adding that he liked Jones but wanted players who can help lower the team's strikeout total, raise their on-base percentage and work deep counts.
Williams' statement about patience might indicate the Sox are in on Jason Bay and Kosuke Fukudome, as has been rumored. Others who exhibit patience or deep counts who might be available: Nick Swisher, Austin Kearns, Reggie Willits, Johnny Damon, Brian Roberts, Jamey Carroll, Milton Bradley, and Mike Cameron.
Bringing free agent Aaron Rowand back into the mix also doesn't seem to be the next step for Williams because of an impasse in regard to the sort of long-term deal each side desires. "You try to do things that make sense," said Williams, speaking in general terms regarding Rowand. "I can't give you a dollar if I only have 50 cents. Some decisions are made awfully easy for you." When asked if he could dole out 50 cents over five years instead of four, Williams responded that the move depended on the player being talked about. When Rowand was loosely described, Williams added "I wouldn't count on it." On the first day Rowand filed, Williams sent a message to him joking about how he was willing to spend as much time with Rowand at home in Las Vegas as needed in order to sell the White Sox. That sale appears to have been presently negated.
- Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times says "Kosuke Fukodome is almost certainly going to sign with the Chicago Cubs." Padres made 3/24 offer?
- The 3rd base market got a new entry and I'm not talking about Brandon Inge: Tadahito Iguchi. Speaking of Tadahito, Van Dyck says he's looking for a 3-year deal.
- Teams interested in Chris Burke: White Sox, Rockies, A's, and Angels. Maybe not the Sox. The Rockies offered SS Clint Barmes.
- More Hot Stove: Cleveland to trade for Jason Bay? No. Mets are looking into Bartolo Colon. Nationals wanted Chad Qualls and Luke Scott for Chad Cordero. Luke Scott may end up in San Diego. Robothal says no agreement.
- Did you know that "a clause in the CBA allows teams to release players prior to March 15th and only be liable for 16% of the salary they were given in arbitration"? I didn't. Thanks to USS Mariner for the pointer.
- Tango asks How much is Troy Tulowitzki worth in a trade?
- BP and BA on Quentin-Carter. BTW, here's BA Cabrera-Garland. And BP's Nate Silver and David Laurila and BTB on Cabrera to Detroit.
- That was fast. Speaking of FJM.