Vivaelbirdos takes a look on the Sox:
about a month ago, citing a post at South Side Sox, i noted the similarity between the white sox's position and the cardinals'. SSS is back at it; read this screed and tell me if it doesn't sound familiar. he decries the sox's unwillingness to pay over slot in the amateur draft; their reluctance to offer arbitration to departing free agents; and their refusal to lay out big bucks for big-name free agents. he also complains of inactivity in the international talent market, a complaint that until a few years ago would have applied to the cardinals. . . . taken in isolation these critiques all seem to stand up, but they don't fare so well when placed into the context of the standings. you could levy the same criticisms against three of the last five champions (marlins, white sox, cards). and all but one of last year's four lcs participants (dbacks, rockies, indians) are slotniks in the draft and non-factors in the free-agent market. in the end, it's still about talent evaluation, not about money. spending exorbitantly in the draft and/or free-agent markets can yield an advantage, but it's exaggerated; it's not a prerequisite for being competitive.What do you think [about this diagnosis]?
- Players on Phil Rogers list of non-tender candidates: Mark Prior, Marlins catcher Miguel Olivo, Mariners first baseman Ben Broussard, Royals outfielder Emil Brown, Mets catcher Johnny Estrada and Nationals reliever Luis Ayala.
- BTB doesn't like the Jose Guillen signing. -- ZiPS neither (.269/.335/.438), but ZiPS likes the Chris Sheltons' pickup (.264/.353/.437).
- Fuku news: he will decide in a few days "whether to accept a bid from the Padres, Cubs or another American club." And on Tuesday he "will let the Yomiuri Giants know whether he will accept their offer."
- Sox have inquired about Luis Vizcaino.
- Hot Stove: The Brewers are close to 1-year deal with Eric Gagne. -- Brian Sabean is contemplating Toronto's offer of Alex Rios for Tim Lincecum. Would you pull the trigger? I don't think I would.
- Part 2 of Jim's Podsednik Paradox dissertation.
- Fuku is coming to America.
- Dayn Perry ranks the Linebrink signing #2.
- Are we talking with Yankees about Hideki Matsui? Don't tell me TinTin is getting the BA treatment.
- Milton Bradley signed a 1-year deal with the Rangers and not the Padres.