Each week, I will summarize the posts in the Minor League Update fanpost for those who don't venture into it, mix in some new stuff, and generally discuss the previous week in White Sox minor leagues. This week:
- Gordon Beckham, Dayan Viciedo, Tyler Flowers, Brandon Allen and Aaron Poreda are all on their way to Birmingham; Jordan Danks is headed to Winston-Salem.
- Jack Egbert is being converted to a reliever at Charlotte. Joining him there will be Donny Lucy and Cole Armstrong, where the two will split the catching duties.
- A scout on Beckham: “If he was 24 and was a guy with a couple of years in the minors, he just flat-out would have made this team.”
- Allen apparently is a pretty good defensive first baseman.
- Santo Luis continues to create a buzz amongst White Sox insiders. The strikeout machine last year at Kannapolis pitched impressively last night against the Diamondbacks. Now 25, he was quite, quite old for his level so this pick-up from Houston in the 2007 Minor League Phase of the Rule 5 Draft will need to show his 2008 improvements are real. The White Sox should have him skip A+ and move him straight to Birmingham.
Once the rosters for the affiliates are set, I will be doing a preview of the four full-season clubs.
Finally, please welcome Shoeless in SC as one of my Carolinas Correspondents. He will be providing occasional coverage of White Sox minor league affiliates in the Carolinas, most notably the Charlotte Knights. I have literally dozens of these exciting and unpaid positions available. Do you live in Montana? The Dirty South? Appalachia? The Camel City? Dominicana? Then you too can be cool by writing on a blog and using numbers.