- The big event, of course, was the amateur draft. The White Sox selections generally followed two themes: pitching and college players. Nine of their first twelve picks were pitchers and they did not select a high schooler until their 29th pick. The first theme is sensible. While there are a number of interesting arms in the organization, there is no pitcher that would be considered a consensus top prospect for the club. Adding some volume will hopefully result in one of these guys becoming that top prospect. The second theme is a bit more curious. While the club has certainly had a bias towards college players with their top pick under Kenny Williams - RHP Kris Honel a decade ago being the last prep player chosen that high - waiting until day two of the draft was almost over to take a high schooler is extraordinarily odd. Check out Jim's coverage of top pick OF Keenyn Walker here, as well as the team's selections from day two of the draft here. Future Sox has a blurb on all the players selected here. And John Sickels reviewed the White Sox draft here.
- Draft picks have already begun to sign and they, along with guys who have been in extended spring training, will begin reporting to the White Sox Rookie Ball affiliates next week. The Great Fall Voyagers begin play on June 20 and the Bristol Sox get started on June 21.
- RHP Jacob Petricka's return from an injured back is taking a bit longer than expected. Apparently he'll be joining some of those draft picks at Bristol for a rehab start or two before going back to Kannapolis.
- OF Trayce Thompson: .228/.314/.433. His numbers after 58 games are almost exactly the same as they were in the 58 games he played in last season.
- For those of you who didn't get the opportunity to see the Jake Peavy Rehab Experience during his prior half dozen tours - probably because you just assumed he'd be back on the road again shortly - you'll have yet another chance. Peavy will be making a rehab start for Charlotte next week against Syracuse. He's supposedly getting 8 hours of treatment a day.