Floyd didn't look to have his best stuff in the first today, working the count full to the first two Rangers of the game before they both flied out deep into the outfield. Beckham then turned in a great play going into the hole and making a perfect spinning throw to end the inning robbing Michael Young of a hit.
Napoli reached on a walk in the second; Floyd had him picked off but Brent Lillibridge mishandled the throw and instead of two out nobody on there was only one retired and a man standing on third. That's when Floyd broke out the big and hairys. He was masterful the rest of the day, allowing only three singles on top of the aforementioned walk while striking out 6 in 7+ innings of work. He kept the Rangers off balance and wasnt hit particularly hard all day.
Lillibomb homered in the third, knocking in Juan Pierre who reached on an infield single and that was all the Sox would need on the night, but this is the 'quick strike' Rangers so just to be safe DeAza doubled in two more that inning and stole third base. Im really digging DeAza. Stone Pony said during the broadcast "he is playing like a guy who wants to be playing more often."
Paul Konerko singled for his 1999th career hit and drove in another insurance run in the 4th off reliever Scott Feldman. The Sox chased the starter Derek Holland after 3 1/3 IP tagging him with 5 ER. Pierre piled on with 2 RBI in the 5th. The party kept going in the 8th when Rios homered home two more, and De Aza capped the 10 run affair knocking in Flowers.
Brent Lillibridge was the comcast player of the game going 3-5 with the HR and 2 RBI. (and one error)
This was the 10th time the White Sox came into a game one game under .500 this season. After a pretty good start they fell below by a game and had a shot to even the ledger against the Angels on 4/17. They lost. They wouldn't have a chance at mediocrity again until July 1st and the NL part of the schedule. They beat the Cubs.They have lost 6 times on the season when trying to even out the ledger. Today marks the 4th time they won the game for even stevens in the W and L columns. Let's hope the 10th time was the charm and they can put a little something together going forward.
- Brent Morel drew a walk today.
- Alex Rios hustled in and caught a Ian Kinsler fly ball on a similar trajectory that we have seen fall in front of him for hits several times this season. He also hit a late HR.
- Carlos Quentin's injury was diagnosed and he has a sprained AC joint in his shoulder. Its not seperated so he will avoid the DL and is officially day to day.
- Hawk and Stone were updating the Indians vs Tigers game all day. The Tigers were up 7-0 early, the Tribe battled back but it apparently ended on a play at the plate. Tigers 8, Cleveland 7 so the Sox dont make up any ground on the division leader.
- Today's victory gave the Sox their first winning home stand since June.