After a shaky start to the evening, Kevin Youkilis hit a grand slam into the Yankee bullpen to give the White Sox a 6-2 lead in the fifth inning and that lead held up as the White Sox won 7-3. Francisco Liriano got the win and pitched very well after the first inning.
It looked like this story might have a different ending in the top of the first. Derek Jeter hit the first pitch of the game into the White Sox bullpen to give the Yanks a 1-0 lead. Nick Swisher followed with a single and after a Robinson Cano strikeout, Liriano walked Mark Teixeira and Andruw Jones. Curtis Granderson bounced to Paul Konerko, who fired to Alexei Ramirez for a force out as Swisher scored to make it 2-0. Liriano struck out Jayson Nix to avoid disaster and get out of the first.
The Sox got one back in the bottom of the second as Alex Rios led off with a triple and scored on an A.J. Pierzynski sac fly. Paul Konerko tied the game at two with a homer to left in the fourth.
In the bottom of the 5th, Ramirez hit a one out double. After a Beckham walk and a Dewayne Wise single, Youk brought the runs.
After the first, Liriano limited the Yankees to just four singles over his six innings of work. Jesse Crain started the seventh and Russell Martin greeted him with a leadoff dinger to cut the lead to 6-3, but that would be as close as New York would get as the White Sox have now taken four of the six games between the two clubs this season.
* Dewayne Wise was 4-5 today, giving him a career high. Wise is hitting with .371 with 3 homers and 9 RBI in 8 games as a White Sox. If there ever was a good time for Alejandro De Aza to land on the disabled list, this is probably it as Wise is hotter than Tiffani Amber Thiessen right now.
* The Sox had a chance to really put this game out of reach in the 8th inning when they loaded the bases with one out, but Derek Lowe struck out Konerko and got Rios to chop to second to end the inning.
* Gordon Beckham singled home Pierzynski (who tripled for the 4th time this season) in the 8th.
* Brett Myers closed the game as he inches closer to his 10 million bucks next year.
* The Sox defeated Ivan Nova, who ruined my day a couple of summers ago on Frank Thomas Day when he shut the Sox down.
* Alexei Ramirez is the proud father of another son, as Alex was born this morning.
* The Tigers defeated the Blue Jays tonight, so the Sox maintain their 2 game lead.
Record: 67-55 | Box