clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

White Sox-Giants World Tour: Nov. 15, 1913

Christy Mathewson packs the park and puts on a show, with an assist from Bill Klem

Christy Mathewson in 1913
Christy Mathewson in 1913
Library of Congress
Nov. 15, 1913 in San Francisco: Giants 6, White Sox 3

This gives you an idea of Christy Mathewson's drawing power.

The day before, when fans knew they weren't going to see Big Six, around 6,000 fans showed up to Recreation Park to watch the White Sox and Giants play a thriller.

With Mathewson starting, 10,000 fans jammed the stands and spilled over into standing room only. The crowd gave him an ovation several minutes long when he took the mound, which the famously distant Mathewson didn't acknowledge.

It hadn't been the best of tours for Mathewson, but today's work proved easy. The Giants jumped on Jim Scott for a quick 5-0 lead over three innings, and the Sox never really threatened in a compelling fashion.

They did threaten umpire Bill Klem, though. With Chief Meyers on first and Jim Thorpe on third in the sixth inning, the Giants tried a double steal. Fred Snodgrass, a righty, stepped in front of Schalk as he threw through, and he didn't move when Thorpe came in (Thorpe slid under his teammate to cross the plate). Klem called Meyers out on interference ... but he also allowed the run to stand, and that set off the Sox.

G.W. Axelson's account in the Dallas Morning News said the Sox protested for five minutes, calling it a "near riot." IN "The Tour To End All Tours," James E. Elfers relays a quote from the San Francisco Examiner:

Buck Weaver was the most persistent of the trouble-makers, and Weaver went a bit too far. Some of the language he used would hardly be complimentary to him if it was heard as plainly as it was in the press box.

Fortunately for Klem, the run didn't matter. Mathewson showed some cracks in the eighth, allowing four singles after a walk for the Sox' final two runs, but the outcome wasn't in doubt.

While the teams were still figuring out who would make the trip overseas, they learned that Hal Chase wouldn't be one of them. The San Jose Mercury Herald reported that Chase would spend the offseason resting his ankle in its neck of the woods.

Previous stops: