According to sources, the Chicago White Sox have finalized a deal with 6th round pick, Luis Curbelo for $700,000. The draft slot was $286,700, so paying quite a bit overslot is similar to the White Sox signing 2015 draft pick Corey Zangari.
Shortstop at Cocoa High in Florida, Curbelo will forgo his commitment to the University of Miami. Many scouts ponder if Curbelo will be a better fit defensively at third base in the future. Ranked #104 on mlbpipeline.com's Top 200 Draft Prospects, Curbelo's strength will be with the bat as he continues to fill in his 6'3" frame.
Top picks Zack Collins (#10) and Zack Burdi are still unsigned.
More From South Side Sox
- Offseason Decision: Hernández’s Option
- The Problem at Second Base
- Today in White Sox History: October 28
- Deep Dive: White Sox Rookie League First Basemen
- Gamethread: Atlanta at Houston (World Series Game 2)
- South Side Sox on the Farm Podcast 22 — 2021 Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Review