Today’s Sporcle theme comes to you courtesy of Trooper Galactus. Trooper wanted to know who on the Sox have pitched the best games using Bill James’ game score metric. Thanks, Trooper! For today’s Sporcle — the last of 2017 — you are tasked with naming the pitchers who have logged a game score of at least 90 since 1970. If the game score metric is confusing to you, I’d suggest thinking about great individual pitching performances you can remember, or wonderful Sox pitching in general: chances are good that at least a few names will pop up. Good luck!
- As always, last names accepted in addition to first and last. I’ve also allowed for one name on this list to accept the player’s first name.
- There are 24 instances where a player has logged a game score of at least 90, but some are repeats: therefore, I’ve given you 7 minutes to attempt completion.
- For hints, I’ve provided the date of the pitching performance, and the game score logged.
Useless information to amaze, annoy, confound, and/or sadden your friends:
- The White Sox’ record from the performances on this list: 23-1.
- From this list, only one player gave up a run (earned or otherwise).
- 19 of the performances were complete game shutouts.
All data from baseballreference.com