Miguel Gonzalez’s start on Tuesday night saw him come oh-so-close to throwing a Maddux against the Yankees. This got me thinking: who has thrown a Maddux for and against the Sox? As it turns out, the results are pretty even: White Sox pitchers have thrown eight Madduxes (Madduxi?) while opponents have Madduxed the Sox ten times.
Your challenge for today: in ten minutes or less, name the 18 pitchers that have either hurled a Maddux for the White Sox, or against them. As hints, I’ve provided the date of the game, the opponent, the final score, and whether it was for/against the Sox. Good luck! A few notes:
- Pitch count data on Baseball Reference is accurate back to 1988, so the time frame we’re looking at is from 1988 on.
- There were three instances where the pitcher only went 6 innings because the game was called due to rain. I did not include those games.
- As usual, the quiz will accept full names (first and last), or last names only. You do not need to go in chronological order.
Useless information to amaze, annoy, confound, and/or sadden your friends:
- Since 1988, there have been an even 300 nine-inning Madduxes pitched in Major League Baseball.
- Of those 300, five of them were perfect games.
- In 1992, the Sox were Madduxed three times. Looking at their team batting data for that year, they weren’t particularly bad in comparison to the rest of the league, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Note: all data taken from baseballreference.com