Happy Mark Buehrle Day! As we’re all aware, today is the day the Sox pay tribute to Mark Buehrle and retire his number. Here’s hoping that many of you get to go to the game, and enjoy the ceremony.
Given the relative longevity and consistency of Buehrle’s career with the Sox, I thought an appropriate way to honor him would be a quiz dedicated to the pitchers who have appeared in the most games for the Sox. So...your challenge for today: name the 25 pitchers to appear in the most games as a member of the White Sox. Good luck!
- As usual, the quiz will accept first and last names, in addition to last names only. A couple of instances will also accept just the first names.
- You’ll have seven minutes to complete the list.
- For hints, you get the range of tenure the player was with the Sox (not necessarily consecutive), and the number of games in which they pitched for the White Sox.
- Given that it’s Mark Buehrle day, I think it’s pretty obvious he’s an answer on this quiz. There has to be SOME challenge to it, though, so you will still need to spell his last name correctly. First name only will not do the trick.
Useless information to amaze, annoy, confound, and/or sadden your friends:
- Mark Buehrle has the second-least number of wild pitches out of the majority-starting pitchers on the list, with only 21 over 2,476 2⁄3 innings pitched.
- Buehrle’s walk rate is tied for second-lowest on the entire list of 25 pitchers — including relievers -- at 5.5%.
- Buehrle, oddly, is also the only pitcher of those 25 pitchers to not record a regular-season save. I think we’ll all take that in a heartbeat, though, given when that other save was compiled.
All data from baseballreference.com