The first game of the South Atlantic League Championship Series took forever to resolve. First, it was delayed a day by Tropical Storm Irma. Then, it took 13 innings over four hours and 38 minutes to get a winner.
Kannapolis ended up on the wrong end of it, though not for a lack of trying. They erased deficits of 3-0, 4-3, and 6-5 during the course of the game, but they could only get back one of the two runs they allowed in the 13th and dropped Game 1, 8-7.
Greenville 8, Kannapolis 7 (13 innings)
- Joel Booker went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts.
- Blake Rutherford, 1-for-5 with a walk and three strikeouts.
- Willy Garcia was 0-for-5 with two strikeouts and a sac bunt.
- Gavin Sheets was 0-for-3 with two walks.
- Jake Burger went 3-for-6 with two doubles and two strikeouts.
- Alex Call, 3-for-6 with a triple and a double.
- Andre Davis took the loss: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.