The followed-from-work-caught-up-afterward bullet points:
*For instance, Avisail Garcia went 5-for-5 with seven RBIs. Three hits were legit — singles to right and center, and an opposite-field blast. The other two were gifts from the scorer, with Jose Iglesias unable to snare a hop on a grounder up the middle, and Jaimer Candelario double-clutching on a bouncer to the right side.
*Likewise, Yoan Moncada went 4-for-5 with five runs scored, but his homer skipped off the top of the left-center wall and would have been catchable had Alex Presley not drifted with it and got stuck against the fence. Moncada also benefited from his grounder glancing off the glove of a diving Ian Kinsler.
*But hey, it just shows which team is still engaged, and that team has every right to stat pad against a team that’s mailing it in.
And stat-pad they did. Look at these lines from the top of the batting order.
- Tim Anderson: 3-for-7, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Moncada: 4-for-5, 5 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 2B
- Jose Abreu: 4-for-5, 3 R, 2 RBI
- Garcia: 5-for-5, HR, 2 R, 7 RBI, BB
- Matt Davidson: 3-for-5, 2B, SF, 3 RBI
*Tyler Saladino didn’t get the memo, going 0-for-6 with 11 stranded.
*James Shields benefited from run support for his fourth win of the season. He fell short of a quality start, although one run shouldn’t have been earned. He got a weak grounder to the right side with two outs from JaCoby Jones, and while Moncada had to range far to his right, he still should have been able to glove it and get the 4-3. Instead, the inning stayed alive for Iglesias to double home Jones off the very top of the wall for a fourth run.
- Seventeen runs is the highest since scoring 19 against Texas on July 3, 2012. (White Sox)
- Moncada is the first White Sox younger than 23 to reach base five times in a game since Frank Thomas (ESPN).
- Moncada also tied a record with five runs scored. Tim Raines was the last to do that in 1994 (White Sox).
- The Sox tied a club record with singles with 21 (White Sox).
- Garcia joined Carl Reynolds in being the only other player with five hits and seven RBIs in a game. (White Sox)
Record: 59-87 | Box score