Some developments for the Chicago White Sox came today, as the team shores up its locker room at Camelback Ranch for spring training.
First, the White Sox agreed to terms on minor-league deals with six free agents (skinnies on the players below come courtesy of the White Sox):
- Randall Delgado (RHP): Has gone 30-29 with a 4.10 ERA (247 ER/542.2 IP) and 465 strikeouts in 271 career games (53 starts) over eight major-league seasons with Atlanta (2011-12) and Arizona (2013-18).
- Ryan Goins (IF): Has appeared in 490 career games over six major-league seasons with Toronto (2013-17) and Kansas City (2018).
- Evan Marshall (RHP): Has appeared in 101 career games over five major-league seasons with Arizona (2014-16), Seattle (2017) and Cleveland (2018).
- D.J. Peterson (IF): Has played in 635 career minor-league games in the Seattle (2013-17), White Sox (2017) and Cincinnati (2018) organizations.
- Donn Roach (RHP): Made 16 appearances (15 starts) with Class AAA Charlotte in 2018 before finishing his season with Orix in the Japan Pacific League; has appeared in 21 major-league games (two starts) with San Diego (2014), the Cubs (2015) and Seattle (2016).
- Matt Skole (IF): Spent most of the 2018 season with Class AAA Charlotte but made his major-league debut with the White Sox in May.
All six have gotten non-roster invites to Camelback Ranch.
The White Sox sent out 14 additional invitations to member of its minor league corps (skinnies on the players below come courtesy of the White Sox):
- Zack Collins (C): Ranked by MLB.com as the No. 8 prospect in the White Sox system; was selected by the Sox in the first round (10th overall) in 2016.
- Alfredo González (C): Spent most of the 2018 season with Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte; made his major-league debut with the White Sox on May 26, 2018 at Detroit.
- Luis González (OF): Rated by Baseball America as the No. 9 Prospect in the White Sox system; combined to hit .307 (148-482) with 40 doubles, five triples, 14 home runs, 71 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .369 on-base percentage in 117 games between Class A Kannapolis and Class A Winston-Salem in 2018; was selected by the Sox in the third round in 2017.
- Bernardo Flores (LHP): Recorded a 2.65 ERA (46 ER/156.0 IP) in 25 starts between Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham last season; was selected by the White Sox in the seventh round in 2016.
- Jordan Guerrero (LHP): Combined to go 10-8 with a 4.76 ERA (69 ER/130.1 IP) and 120 strikeouts in 26 outings (25 starts) between Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte in 2018; was selected by the White Sox in the 15th round in 2012.
- Jimmy Lambert (RHP): Went 8-8 with a 3.76 ERA (39 ER/95.2 IP) and 110 strikeouts (10.3 per 9.0 IP) in 18 starts between Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham in 2018; was selected by the White Sox in the fifth round in 2016.
- Nick Madrigal (IF): Rated by Baseball America as the No. 4 prospect in the White Sox system; hit .303 (47-155) with seven doubles, 16 RBI, eight stolen bases, seven walks and just five strikeouts in 43 games last season in his professional debut; did not strike out in his first 72 professional plate appearances; was selected by Chicago in the first round (fourth overall) in 2018.
- Danny Mendick (IF): Was a Southern League midseason All-Star in 2018; led Class AA Birmingham in stolen bases (20) and runs scored (62); was selected by the White Sox in the 22nd round in 2015.
- Nate Nolan (C): Appeared in 50 games with Class A Winston-Salem last season; was selected by the White Sox in the eighth round in 2016.
- Luis Robert (OF): Rated by Baseball America as the No. 5 Prospect in the White Sox system; played for Glendale in the 2018 Arizona Fall League and was selected to the AFL All-Prospects team; was signed by the Sox as a minor-league free agent from Cuba on May 27, 2017.
- Blake Rutherford (OF): Ranked by Baseball America as the No. 8 prospect in the White Sox system; spent 2018 with Class A Winston-Salem; ranked second in the Carolina League in RBI (78) and hits (131) and was named to the CL postseason All-Star team; was acquired from the Yankees as part of a seven-player deal on July 18, 2017.
- Zach Thompson (RHP): Went 6-1 with a 2.51 ERA (13 ER/75.1 IP), 76 strikeouts and just four home runs allowed in 43 relief appearances between Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham; was selected by the White Sox in the fifth round in 2014.
- Charlie Tilson (OF): Split the 2018 season between the White Sox and Class AAA Charlotte; was outrighted to Charlotte on Jan. 16, 2019.
- Colton Turner (LHP): Was 7-4 with a 2.92 ERA (16 ER/64.2 IP), four saves and 65 strikeouts (9.0 per 9.0 IP) in 37 games (three starts) between Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte in 2018; was acquired from Toronto in exchange for catcher Dioner Navarro on Aug. 26, 2016.
Among the 14 invitees, four (Collins, Madrigal, Robert and Rutherford) are ranked in Chicago’s Top 10 prospects by Baseball America and MLB.com.
Pitchers and catchers report on Wednesday, February 13, with position players arriving for physicals on Monday, February 18. The White Sox hold their first full-squad spring training workout on the 18th. Chicago’s Cactus League starts on Saturday, February 23, with split-squad games hosting the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch, and at Oakland in Mesa.