There was a lot of good (Minnie!) and some bad (Dick Allen falls short!), and Joe Resis and Brett Ballantini join in the fun, talking ballots and even winding up with a little bit of SSS Veterans’ ballot chat:
- Bittersweet timing, but Minnie is finally in. How much did the Negro Leagues recognition earlier this year play a role?
- Another thing the Golden Days Era Committee got right (unlike the Early Baseball Committee) was taking a loaded ballot and making sure four players got in — is this the new trend?
- Allen fell one vote short, for the second straight try; not if but when for him, but jeez, it’s been 21 ballots for him now
- Will Billy Pierce gain support similar to Minnie’s in future elections?
- Southpaw speed round: Who gets in the Hall first, Mark Buehrle or Pierce?
- SSS has pivoted on how it puts together its “loaded” Veterans’ ballots; should Cooperstown take note?
Listen below, on our built-in Megaphone player: