Carlos Rodón’s story is one of resilience. For Rodón, 2020 was supposed to be a hopeful bounce-back from Tommy John surgery, but instead, that year saw some disastrous relief appearances, a shoulder injury, and finally, being non-tendered.
And then he threw the 20th no-hitter in White Sox history.
Though we at North Side Sox were admittedly unclear on Rodón’s future on the South Side, there was one person who never had a doubt, and we brought him on the pod. Rod Whitesell is the baseball head coach at Holly Springs High School, in Holly Springs, N. C., and knew Carlos back in his formative years.
We ask Coach Whitesell:
- His coaching philosophy, and his early observations of a young Carlos
- Carlos can hit, too! Coach Whitesell recalls some great offensive performances
- Roberto Pérez was hit with a pitch, marring the perfect game. Knowing Carlos has a sense of humor, what was he likely thinking?
Beyond talking to Rod about the one and only Hard Karl, we also discuss:
- The defensive plays by José Abreu and Leury García that saved the no-no
- The Yermín Mercedes hype is real, and it’s spectacular
- Is it too early to worry about the bullpen?
Listen below, on our built-in Megaphone player:
For more hijinks, be sure to follow us on Twitter, @NorthSideSoxPod and Janice over at @scuriiosa.