clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Today in White Sox History: August 28

Doubleheader madness, time out for no fun, and, of course, dingers galore

Chicago White Sox v Minnesota Twins
Think rainouts today cause a commotion? Wait’ll you get a load of what happened to the White Sox in 1938.
David Berding/Getty Images


It was the most grueling stretch of baseball in major league history: A series of rainouts forced the White Sox to play six consecutive doubleheaders on six consecutive days from August 23-28. They played four games against the Yankees in two days, six games against the Red Sox in three days and two games against the Athletics. All were on the road. For the month, the White Sox had to play 13 doubleheaders! Despite the incredible stretch of games, they finished the month with a record of 16-22 — which really wasn’t that bad.


Of all the crazy games and things that have happened when the Sox played at Baltimore, this one topped the list. The Sox started the day 2 ½ games behind the Yankees and trailed the O’s 3-0 going into the eighth inning. With two outs, Luis Aparicio, Nellie Fox and Roy Sievers ripped consecutive singles, scoring a run and putting the tying runs on base. Manager Al Lopez called on Ted Kluszewski to pinch-hit.

Big Klu drilled the pitch from Milt Pappas into the right field stands for an apparent three-run homer, except for one small thing …

Third base umpire Ed Hurley called time!

Nobody remembered seeing him do it, but he refused to change his call. Fox was ejected in the confrontation afterwards and Lopez played the game under protest. Hurley called time right before the pitch to tell Sox players Floyd Robinson and Earl Torgeson that they were warming up in the wrong area. The next day, Hurley was quoted in the newspapers as saying ”I wish to heck I hadn’t called it; I’d gladly take it back ...”

The end result was the Sox lost, 3-1, and were now three games behind the Yankees. Kluszewski later recalled that this game was the one that broke the team’s spirit that season.


Greg Luzinski completed his “downtown Triple Crown” by blasting a pitch from Boston’s Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd over the Comiskey Park roof in left-center field. It was Luzinski’s third roof shot in 1983. Greg would have four rooftop home runs in his White Sox career. The Sox took care of Boston on this afternoon, 6-2.


Frank Thomas, who would become the White Sox all-time home run leader, belted his first big-league round tripper. Thomas connected in the ninth inning of a game at the Metrodome, off of Minnesota’s Gary Wayne. The Sox lost that day, 12-6.


The White Sox and Rangers combined for 14 home runs in a doubleheader at Comiskey Park, tying the American League mark. The teams hit six in the first game, eight in the second. Texas and the Sox split the two games on the day.