Hey friends, Kristina Airdo will have a full update later, but here are some basics of the new CBA and its ramifications, for now.
- March 13 is the reporting date for all players.
- First spring training game action looks to be ~March 17
- White Sox Opening Day will be April 14, with the home opener April 17
- A full 162 game season will be played
- No more Manfred Man on second base or seven-inning doubleheaders
- Restricted optioning for players, creating better stability with rosters
- Four teams (Houston, Mets, Yankees, St. Louis) voted against the agreement, as did all eight members of the MLBPA executive council
- Free agency and all transactions are unfrozen RIGHT NOW, so a frenzy will begin
- The Rule 5 draft is gone for this season
- It’s possible that larger bases, shift restrictions and a pitch clock could be in the game as early as 2022; MLB has the controlling vote in rules changes, over a shorter (45 day) time frame
Kristina will have more later, and Brett and the crew will embark on an unprecedented third SSS podcast of the day later on tonight.