The White Sox farm system is still having trouble generating escape velocity from the cellar.
The good news? Well, it’s not good for Birmingham or Winston-Salem, but the 2017 season shows a big divide between haves and have-nots. The Charlotte Knights are a respectable 22-21, and Kannapolis shook off a dismal start to improve to 24-20.
The Birmingham Barons (15-30) and the Winston-Salem Dash (14-33), have combined for a .315 win percentage. The Barons have had a hard time finding traction the last couple years, but the Dash have surged past them in terms of sadness. They’re 5-18 in May, and without consecutive wins during the month.
Top prospects at a glance
- Luis Alexander Basabe: 4-for-8, 2 SB, 2 K
- Zack Collins: 1-for-2, BB, K
- Eddy Alvarez went 2-for-5.
- Jake Peter doubled and homered, then was replaced afterward.
- Nick Basto went 1-for-4 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Matt Cooper: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
- Luis Alexander Basabe went 3-for-4 with a stolen base.
- Trey Michalczewski was 2-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Johan Cruz, 1-for-3 with a K and a stolen base.
- Luis Alexander Basabe was 1-for-4 with two strikeouts and a stolen base.
- Zack Collins singled, walked and struck out.
- Johan Cruz was 0-for-3.
- Joel Booker was 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Jameson Fisher doubled, walked and struck out.
- Micker Adolfo was 1-for-3 with a double and a strikeout.
- Bernardo Flores: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP
- Joel Booker was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Jameson Fisher, 2-for-3 with a double and a strikeout.
- Jake Elliott made his 2017 debut: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K