Michael Kopech had struggled in his previous several starts with the Birmingham Barons, but he found a way to step it up for a national audience in the Futures Game.
Kopech pitched a nine-pitch 1-2-3 inning, including a strikeout of organizationmate Yoan Moncada, which helped the U.S. team beat the World team, 7-6. Jordan Bastian described the sequence on MLB.com.
The 21-year-old righty started off with a slider, which tailed low and inside to Moncada, who danced out of the way of the dirt-bound pitch. From there, Kopech challenged the White Sox second baseman with only fastballs. The first one buzzed in at 99 mph, and Moncada swung through it for strike one. Next, Kopech fired a 100 mph fastball low and away -- on the corner for a called second strike.
The knockout punch came courtesy of a 101-mph four-seamer, which was elevated away, but enticing enough to generate another swing and miss from Moncada. Kopech spun around on the mound, hiding his reaction from Moncada, who walked back to the first-base dugout.
And here’s the video of his three outs:
As for the other Sox participants, Moncada went 0-for-2 with the aforementioned strikeout, and Zack Collins struck out in his only trip to the plate.
- Tyler Saladino went 2-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Rymer Liriano was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, strikeout and CS.
- Jacob May went 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Reynaldo Lopez: 6 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP
- Zack Burdi: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP
- Eddy Alvarez went 1-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Jake Peter went 1-for-4 with a K.
- Nick Basto, 2-for-5.
- Courtney Hawkins went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Trey Michalczewski went 0-for-2 with a walk and a stolen base.
- Luis Alexander Basabe went 0-for-3.
- Danny Mendick and Jameson Fisher were both 0-for-4
- Bernardo Flores: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 5 K, 1 HR
- Luis Gonzalez and Micker Adolfo went 1-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Gavin Sheets, 1-for-3.
- Jake Burger was 0-for-3.
- Micker Adolfo went 0-for-1 with a sac bunt and a walk.
- Gavin Sheets went 1-for-2 with a double and a walk.
- Jake Burger, 0-for-2 with a walk.
- Craig Dedelow went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Franklin Reyes went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Felix Mercedes was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Ricky Mota, 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Carlos Perez was 0-for-4.
- Chris Comito: 5 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR
- Will Kincanon: 1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP
- Alex Call went 0-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout. He was also picked off.
- Lenyn Sosa, 2-for-4 with a triple and a walk.
- Amado Nunez made his 2017 debut, going 2-for-4.
- Andres Sanchez: 3.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 1 K
- Maiker Feliz, 3-for-4.s.
- Jenderson Caraballo: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K