Zack Burdi hadn’t pitched since departing last Sunday’s game in the middle of his second inning at work. The White Sox say he won’t be pitching the rest of the season, and maybe not at all in 2018, either.
Rick Hahn said Burdi has a torn ulnar collateral ligament, and will get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews next week. If he goes through with the surgery, Hahn projected Burdi wouldn’t return until spring training of 2019.
Burdi had pitched well enough for Charlotte, striking out 51 batters to 17 walks and 30 hits over 33 1⁄3 innings. He battled a midseason slump from late May to early June, losing the strike zone long enough to continue justifying the slower track. He finished his season with six consecutive outings without an earned run.
Burdi’s brother, Nick, underwent the procedure back in May, which means the Tommy John surgery rate for Downers Grove natives is skyrocketing this season.
- Yoan Moncada went 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Nicky Delmonico was 0-for-4 with a K.
- Willy Garcia, 1-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Rymer Liriano went 1-for-4.
- Danny Hayes, 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Carson Fulmer: 6 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 1 WP
- Eddy Alvarez went 1-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Jake Peter singled twice, struck out once and was hit by a pitch.
- Courtney Hawkins went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Trey Michalczewski was 0-for-3 with a walk, strikeout and CS.
- Michael Kopech: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2 HBP
- Luis Alexander Basabe went 1-for-3 with a double, walk, strikeout and stolen base.
- Zack Collins was 0-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Eloy Jimenez singled, walked twice and struck out twice.
- Jameson Fisher went 0-for-2 with a walk, HBP and two strikeouts.
- Danny Mendick went 1-for-5.
- Dane Dunning: 5 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 2 WP
White Sox made 1B Matt Rose shave his bushy beard. All that's left is a mustache. According to MB announcers he's not happy about it— Rob Young (@RobertHYoung) July 14, 2017
- Luis Gonzalez singled walked.
- Micker Adolfo also went 1-for-1 with a walk, and added a steal.
- Gavin Sheets and Jake Burger were both 0-for-2.
- Alex Call went 0-for-4 with a walk, sac fly and strikeout.
- Evan Skoug tripled, doubled and struck out three times.
- Jhoandro Alfaro went 2-for-3.
- Jose Colina replaced him and went 1-for-1 with a sac bunt.
- Maiker Feliz was 0-for-5 with four strikeouts.
- Luis Mieses went 2-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Anthony Coronado also went 2-for-4, with a double and a strikeout.
- Harvin Mendoza singled twice, walked once and struck out once.
- Josue Guerrero went 0-for-4 with a K.
- Santo Vasquez struck out in all three at-bats.
- Anderson Comas went 2-for-4.
- Brayant Nova was 2-for-4 with a strikeout and a stolen base.
- Ramon Pineda: 5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HR
*After Burdi, Hahn had somewhat positive injury news:
Better White Sox prospect news: Luis Robert has recovered well from meniscus injury. Sox expect him to return to games in a couple of weeks.— Colleen Kane (@ChiTribKane) July 14, 2017