The Winston-Salem Dash lost their designated hitter on Sunday because they lost Zack Collins.
Collins left the game in the third inning shortly after Jimmy Lambert plunked Lynchburg’s Andrew Calica. As weird as that sounds, Lambert’s pitch glanced off Calica’s knee and redirected into Collins’ left forearm/elbow.
The camera lingered on Collins checking his arm as Lambert threw to first.
Collins briefly tried playing through it, calling a couple of pitchouts and making a mound visit, where he showed Lambert the lump that was developing at the point of impact.
The idea was probably to record the third out and get treatment in the dugout, but when Sicnarf Loopstok singled to keep the inning alive, Willie Harris and the trainer had to make a visit to the mound. It ended with Collins walking off the field, Seby Zavala moving from DH to catcher, and Harris managing like a National League skipper the rest of the game.
Lambert was the only pitcher who had to hit for himself, grounding out to the pitcher his only time up.
Charlotte 9, Lehigh Valley 4
- Jake Peter went 3-for-5 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Rymer Liriano, doubled, singled, walked and struck out twice.
- Jacob May struck out after entering the game as a pinch runner.
- D.J. Peterson went 0-for-5.
- Casey Gillaspie went 1-for-3 with a homer, two walks and a strikeout.
- Eddy Alvarez went 1-for-4 with two strikeouts, and was picked off.
- Tyler Danish: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP
Birmingham 7, Chattanooga 4
- Danny Mendick went 0-for-3 with two walks and a strikeout.
- Tito Polo singled, walked twice, struck out twice and swiped two bags.
- Nick Basto went 1-for-3 with a walk and a sac bunt.
- Courtney Hawkins singled, walked and struck out twice.
- Trey Michalczewski walked twice and struck out twice.
- Jordan Guerrero: 6 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Lynchburg 9, Winston-Salem 6
- Eloy Jimenez’s 11-game hitting streak came to an end with an 0-for-5, two-strikeout day.
- Zack Collins singled in his only PA before his exit.
- Joel Booker was one of the pinch hitters for the pitcher, going 0-for-1.
- Seby Zavala went 1-for-4.
- Jameson Fisher, 1-for-4 with a homer.
- Yeyson Yrizarri singled thrice and struck out once.
- Luis Alexander Basabe went 1-for-4.
- Jimmy Lambert: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP
Greensboro 4, Kannapolis 1 (Game 1, 7 innings)
- Alex Call went 1-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Blake Rutherford, 2-fof-5.
- Jake Burger was 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Gavin Sheets, 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Luis Gonzalez was 1-for-4.
- Evan Skoug went 0-for-1.
Greensboro 3, Kannapolis 0 (Game 2, 7 innings)
- Alex Call went 0-for-3.
- Luis Gonzalez, 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Micker Adolfo struck out all three times up.
- Gavin Sheets went 0-for-3.
- Aaron Schnurbusch had Kannapolis’ lone hit.
- Blake Hickman: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP
Idaho Falls 8, Great Falls 7
- Craig Dedelow went 4-for-5.
- Justin Yurchak, 0-for-4 with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Franklin Reyes went 2-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Amado Nunez, 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
AZL White Sox 7, AZL Cubs 4
- Ramon Beltre went 2-for-5 with a strikeout and a stolen base.
- Sam Abbott was 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Jhoandro Alfaro went 1-for-4 with a walk and two strikeouts.