I had hoped that the Winston-Salem Dash would hold on to Alec Hansen so I could see him in person, but instead he’s with Birmingham and set to make his Double-A debut tonight.
That said, Ian Clarkin wasn’t a bad consolation prize, given that he was the secondary player in the return from the Yankees in the Tommy Kahnle trade. He came off the disabled list and threw three scoreless innings against Buies Creek. The abbreviated outing appeared to be by design, as the Dash had the bullpen going during Clarkin’s third inning of work, which maybe lasted six pitches.
While MLB Pipeline’s scouting report said he worked 90-92 and peaked at 95, he worked 88-90 on the stadium gun. I did see some sink, as he found the double-play ball in each of his first two innings. Given the lack of batters faced, I couldn’t get a real good sense of his breaking stuff, which the scouting reports had said were in flux from curves to sliders. The ones I saw from behind the plate had a slider’s break and velocity.
Given that he’s approaching the end of another injury-shortened season — he’ll come up short of last year’s career-high 98 innings — it’s hard to get a feel for the version of Clarkin I saw. Given the number of DL stints he’s racked up over the last few seasons, I suppose it’s something that I saw him at all.
Charlotte 12, Gwinnett 5
- Jake Peter went 1-for-5 with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Jacob May, 2-for-5 with two stolen bases.
- Rymer Liriano went 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- Casey Gillaspie went 3-for-5 with two doubles.
- Danny Hayes was 1-for-3 with a double, two walks and a strikeout.
- Eddy Alvarez went 0-for-3 with two walks and a strikeout.
Tennessee 4, Birmingham 2
- Eloy Jimenez homered, doubled, singled and struck out twice.
- Zack Collins struck out in a pinch-hitting appearance.
- Nick Basto was 1-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Courtney Hawkins was 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Danny Mendick, 2-for-4 with a CS.
- Jordan Stephens: 6 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, HBP
*Jimenez’s second homer in as many days was to dead center, meaning he’s hit one to all three fields at Regions FIeld.
Buies Creek 7, Winston-Salem 1
- Joel Booker went 3-for-4 with an HBP.
- Jameson Fisher, 0-for-5 with a strikeout.
- Seby Zavala was 1-for-3 with two walks and a strikeout.
- Yeyson Yrizarri went 1-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Ian Clarkin: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Lakewood 7, Kannapolis 6
- Luis Gonzalez went 0-for-3 with a walk, a sac bunt and two strikeouts.
- Alex Call was 2-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout, and was caught stealing.
- Blake Rutherford went 0-for-5 with a K.
- Jake Burger and Gavin Sheets were both 2-for-4.
- Evan Skoug also went 2-for-4, but both of his hits were homers.
- Tyler Johnson: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Missoula 8, Great Falls 3
- Craig Dedelow went 1-for-4.
- Justin Yurchak was 1-for-4 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Amado Nunez was 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
AZL Dodgers 6, AZL White Sox 3
- Ramon Beltre went 1-for-4.
- Jhoandro Alfaro, 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Lenyn Sosa was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.