Watching Michael Kopech and Alec Hansen last night gets me really excited for 2019 as both put on a show last night. Battling with walks in AA, Kopech appears to have solved that issue in his last five starts.
Last five Michael Kopech starts: 34 IP, 18 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 44 K, 0.79 ERA. He’s doing ok down there— James Fegan (@JRFegan) August 5, 2017
I paid more attention to the Winston-Salem Dash game, who have now won six games in a row, and cut some of Hansen’s highlights from his performance. With his height (6’7”), I’m always coming away impressed on how poised he’s on the mound and stays tall. As you will see from the video, I think that’s what make his high fastball so effective.
Alec Hansen using a high fastball for a swinging strikeout. pic.twitter.com/xLRkylhOBK— Josh Nelson (@SSS_joshnelson) August 5, 2017
Alec Hansen's fastball is quite impressive. Another strikeout. pic.twitter.com/5XyTJIvE7m— Josh Nelson (@SSS_joshnelson) August 6, 2017
Here’s a strikeout using his curveball.
Nice breaking pitch by Alec Hansen for a swinging strikeout. pic.twitter.com/k6seJom6n5— Josh Nelson (@SSS_joshnelson) August 5, 2017
In my opinion, he handles his frame much better than Lucas Giolito does, who also had a good night on the mound.
Oh, and Kannapolis had two position players pitch last night.
Gwinnett 2, Charlotte 0
- Jacob May went 2-for-4 with a triple and strikeout.
- Jake Peter was 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Casey Gillaspie was 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Rymer Liriano went 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Lucas Giolito: 5 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K. 65 strikes out of 101 pitches thrown.
Birmingham 2, Jacksonville 1
- Trey Michalczewski was 1-for-4 with a two-run homer and two strikeouts.
- Courtney Hawkins was 1-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Hunter Jones was 2-for-4
- Michael Kopech: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 K. 63 strikes out of 93 pitches thrown.
Winston-Salem 6, Potomac 0
- Eloy Jimenez was 2-for-4 again. Now hitting .300 for the season in Advanced A.
- Zack Collins was 0-for-3 with a walk and as a strikeout.
- Seby Zavala was 2-for-4 with two RBI and a strikeout.
- Brady Conlan had a three-run homer and Sam Dexter had a solo home run. Plus, Dexter made a nifty diving stop.
Nice diving stop by Sam Dexter. pic.twitter.com/tbQe7Zwfib— Josh Nelson (@SSS_joshnelson) August 5, 2017
- Alec Hansen: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 12 K. 67 strikes were thrown out of 89 pitches.
Greensboro 5, Kannapolis 4 (15 innings)
- Luis Gonzalez was 1-for-6 with a double, a walk, and three strikeouts.
- Blake Rutherford, 1-for-6 with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Jake Burger went 1-for-7 with a strikeout.
- Micker Adolfo had a clutch three-run homer in eighth inning to tie the game.
- Mitch Roman had a solo home run.
- Maybe Grant Massey has a pitching future: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. 18 strikes were thrown out of 27 pitches.
- Tyler Johnson: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. 18 strikes out of 23 pitches.
Great Falls 8, Idaho Falls 4
- Craig Dedelow was 1-for-4 with a RBI.
- Anthony Villa was 2-for-3 with a home run, three runs batted in, and a walk.
- Tate Blackman had a two-run homer.
- Justin Yurchak was 1-for-4.
- Kade McClure: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. 8 strikes out of 13 pitches.
AZL White Sox 13, AZL Indians 1
- Alex Destino was 3-for-6 with a home run, double, triple, and two RBI (single shy of the cycle).
- Ramon Beltre: 4-for-6 with three runs scored, two doubles, and a RBI.
- JJ Muno went 3-for-3 with three RBI and a walk.
- Dylan Covey: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
DSL Blue Jays 13, DSL White Sox 1
- Luis Robert went 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout.