Alec Hansen might already have his first goal for the 2018 season in Birmingham: Figure out the sixth inning.
Hansen’s second start for the Barons on Saturday looked like his first: overpowering through five, then trouble in the sixth.
Even then, the resulting line — 5 1⁄3 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 9 K — is a pretty impressive way to finish a season that started in A-ball. (Here’s video of his final strikeout.)
Like Michael Kopech the day before, Hansen tied a bow on a season that has to fulfill one of the best imaginable scenarios. He finished the year with a 2.80 ERA and 191 strikeouts to 51 walks over 141 1⁄3 innings, with no notable peripheral shift as he climbed from Kannapolis (73 innings) to Winston-Salem (58) to Birmingham (101⁄3).
Hansen’s national bandwagon has been slow to fill its seats, so his evaluations could have the most variance of anybody’s over the winter.
- Jake Peter went 2-for-4 with a triple, walk and strikeout.
- Jacob May was 0-for-5, but he swiped his 30th base.
- Casey Gillaspie went 1-for-4 with a homer, walk and strikeout.
- D.J. Peterson was 1-for-4 with a homer.
- Eddy Alvarez went 1-for-3.
- Drew Hasler had a great Triple-A debut for a late-season roster patch: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Eloy Jimenez singled, walked and struck out twice. He was also hung out to dry on a busted hit-and-run.
- Nick Basto went 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Courtney Hawkins went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- Danny Mendick went 1-for-3 with a strikeout, and was picked off/caught stealing.
- Trey Michalczewski was 1-for-4 with a double, strikeout and stolen base.
- Alec Hansen: 5.1 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 9 K, 67 of 93 pitches for strikes.
- Jameson Fisher doubled and struck out thrice.
- Seby Zavala went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
- Ti’Quan Forbes went 0-for-3 in his Sox organization debut.
- Yosmer Solorzano: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 2 HBP
- Craig Dedelow went 3-for-4 with a homer.
- Justin Yurchak was 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Ramon Beltre went 3-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Lenyn Sosa was 1-for-5 with a homer and a strikeout.
- Sam Abbott singled, walked and struck out twice.
- Jhoandro Alfaro was 0-for-3 with a walk.